Both New Trier Sailing and the Chicago Yacht Club require at least one parent of each sailor complete SafeSport youth protection training.
Here are the steps to take the training:
- Have your own or your sailor’s US Sailing membership number available.*
- Click this link to review the information about the training.
- Click on the the red “Take the Training” box.
- Enter the US Sailing membership number and click “Continue”.
- Check the box that certifies you are the person associated with the account and click “Continue”. (This may seem odd, but you will be creating your own SafeSport account next.)
- You should now be on a page to register for a SafeSport (not US Sailing) account. If the name and email that came pre-populated from US Sailing is not your own, edit it, choose a password, and click “Next”.
- Follow the usual steps to create an account with SafeSport.
- Complete the training. There are three modules. Each takes about 30 minutes to complete. They can be done all in one sitting or taken one-at-a-time.
- Email NTS your completion certificate. We will forward it to CYC.
Once complete, certification is valid for two years.
You may also want to reference the SafeSport Handbook.
(* If neither of you has a US Sailing membership, email us and we will send the New Trier Sailing membership number to use instead.)