All NTS sailors are required to sign a pledge to abide by the New Trier Sailing Code of Conduct:
Participation in New Trier Sailing (NTS) is a privilege, not a right. You earn your place on the team through practice, contribution, and merit. Members of NTS represent the team, their teammates, their families, the Chicago Yacht Club (CYC), New Trier High School (NTHS), and the New Trier community. Team members are expected to be exemplars of good behavior and sportsmanlike conduct.
Every team member must maintain eligibility for participation in Extracurricular Programs as defined by the New Trier High School Student Guidebook and abide by the express and implied terms of the Extracurricular Code.
Conduct prohibited under the Extracurricular Code includes, but is not limited to:
- The purchase, possession, delivery, distribution, or use of tobacco products, including e-cigarettes and vaporizers
- The purchase, possession, delivery or distribution, or being under the influence of alcohol, a controlled substance, other illegal mood-altering and/or performance-enhancing drug or chemical, or any substance used to obtain an altered mental state
- The purchase, possession, delivery, or distribution of look-alike drugs, drug paraphernalia, and alcohol containers
- Hosting or organizing a gathering or providing a venue where minors and any of the above- referenced prohibited substances are present
- Violations of the Academic Integrity Policy
- Assault or battery
- Bullying, intimidation, hazing, or harassment of a written, verbal, physical, or sexual nature, including, but not limited to, hand written, electronic, or spoken words
- Vandalism, theft, property damage
- Insubordination or gross disobedience
- Unsportsmanlike conduct or behavior unbecoming of a New Trier student
NTS has a zero-tolerance policy for tobacco, drug or alcohol use, abuse, or distribution.
Conduct prohibited in the Guidebook that may result suspension from riding NTS-sponsored busses includes, but is not limited to:
- Willful injury or threat of injury to a bus driver or to another rider
- Willful and/or repeated defacement of the bus
- Repeated use of profanity
- Willful disobedience of the bus driver’s or team captains’ directives
- Such other behavior as the NTS Board of Directors deems to threaten the safe operation of the bus and/or its occupants
Team members will be on their best behavior at regattas, team practices, and during travel.
When traveling to “away” regattas team members will travel with the NTS team and follow the directions of parent chaperones at all times. Team members will coordinate away regatta travel and lodging with the NTS Board of Directors’ Away Regatta Chair.
The NTS Board of Directors shall determine whether there has been a violation of this Code and the consequences of any such violation. It will enforce those consequences together with CYC coaches. Any NTS Director whose child is the subject of such disciplinary matter will recuse him- or her- self from related discussions.
Penalties for violations may not be limited to those described in the Extracurricular Code and may include suspension from practices, regattas, or events, as well as forfeiture of previously-paid dues and fees.
In the event of a conflict between the the Guidebook, the Extracurricular Code, and this New Trier Sailing Code of Conduct, the New Trier Sailing Code of Conduct will supersede.