Participation in New Trier Sailing is a privilege, not a right. Sailors earn their place on the team through practice, contribution, merit, and conduct.
Every team member must maintain eligibility for participation in Extracurricular Programs as defined by the New Trier High School Student Guidebook and abide by the expressed and implied terms of the Extracurricular Code.
Conduct prohibited under the Extracurricular Code includes, but is not limited to:
- The purchase, possession, delivery, distribution, or use of tobacco products, including e-cigarettes and vaporizers
- The purchase, possession, delivery or distribution, or being under the influence of alcohol, a controlled substance, any other illegal mood-altering and/or performance-enhancing drug or chemical, or any substance used to obtain an altered mental state
- The purchase, possession, delivery, or distribution of look-alike drugs, drug paraphernalia, and alcohol containers
- Hosting or organizing a gathering or providing a venue where minors and any of the above-referenced prohibited substances are present
- Violations of the Academic Integrity Policy
- Assault or battery
- Bullying, intimidation, hazing, or harassment of a written, verbal, physical, or sexual nature, including, but not limited to, hand-written, electronic, or spoken words
- Vandalism, theft, property damage
- Insubordination or gross disobedience
- Unsportsmanlike conduct or behavior unbecoming of a New Trier student
New Trier Sailing has a zero-tolerance policy for tobacco, drug, or alcohol use or distribution.
Members of New Trier Sailing represent the team, the Chicago Yacht Club, and New Trier High School wherever and whenever they are. Therefore, this Code of Conduct applies at all times and places.
Members agree to follow the New Trier Sailing COVID-19 Policies and Procedures, to avoid activities and situations that might increase the risk of contracting or transmitting COVID-19, and to participate in any contact tracing efforts by New Trier Sailing, New Trier High School, the Chicago Yacht Club, or government authorities.
When traveling to away regattas team members will travel with or as directed by the team and follow the directions of parent chaperones at all times. Team members will coordinate away regatta travel and lodging with the Board of Directors’ Away Regatta Chair.
The Board of Directors shall determine whether there has been a violation of this Code and the consequences of any such violation. It will enforce those consequences together with the Chicago Yacht Club coaches. Any Director whose child is the subject of such disciplinary matter will recuse him- or her- self from related discussions.
Penalties for violations of this Code of Conduct may not be limited to those described in the Extracurricular Code and may include suspension from practices, regattas, or events, as well as forfeiture of previously-paid dues and fees.
In the event of a conflict between the the Guidebook, the Extracurricular Code and this Code of Conduct, the Code of Conduct will supersede.