Adopted August 25, 2020
To ensure New Trier Sailing (“NTS”) is a safe as possible given the COVID-19 pandemic, we have developed these COVID policies and procedures. Sailors are expected to abide by these policies; compliance is part of our Code of Conduct. As such, violations will be treated as violations of the Code.
Policies to Prevent Contracting or Spreading COVID-19
In order to avoid contracting or spreading COVID-19, team members shall:
- Be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 or participate in the weekly COVID-19 screening program required by New Trier High School (“NTHS”) for all students participating in extracurricular activities.
- Abide by the strictest of any COVID-19 health policies or orders of the State of Illinois, Cook County, the City or Chicago, NTHS, or the Chicago Yacht Club (“CYC”), including those related to masks, vaccination, quarantine, isolation, notification, and travel.
- Quarantine, isolate, or get tested for COVID-19 according to these policies or procedures if they suspect they have COVID-19 or have been in close contact with someone they suspect has COVID-19. Notify NTHS, NTS, and CYC in any of these cases.
- Wear face masks while commuting to NTS events in in any vehicle with people other than immediate family members, including, but not limited to, team buses, private vehicles (such as for carpools), and public transportation.
- Clean hands with soap and water or sanitizer before entering a team bus or carpool and whenever feasible at CYC.
- Avoid activities and situations that might significantly increase their risk of contracting or transmitting COVID-19, both at and away from NTS events.
- Immediately isolate and notify a coach or captain if they feel sick at an NTS event.
Procedures for Suspected COVID-19 or Exposure to COVID-19
For the purposes of this section “close contact” with someone means any of the following: (i) you were within six feet for a total of 15 minutes or more, (ii) you provided COVID-19 care to the person at home, (iii) you had direct physical contact, such as by hugging or kissing, (iv) you shared eating or drinking utensils, or (v) the person sneezed, coughed, or somehow got respiratory droplets on you.
The definition of close contact is slightly more narrowly defined if the exposure was in a school environment and both students were consistently masked; consult NTHS if this applies to you.
In general, individuals whose sole contact with the suspected case was outdoors are not close contacts.
Whether or not you are vaccinated, if you suspect you have COVID-19:
- Do not come to any NTS events; notify NTS (email@example.com), NTHS, CYC, and your doctor.
- Stay at home until 10 days after you first had symptoms or tested positive and it has been 24 hours since you had a fever without the use of fever-reducing medicines and any other symptoms are improving.
If you are unvaccinated and had close contact with someone you suspect has COVID-19:
- Do not come to any NTS events; notify NTS, NTHS, CYC, and your doctor.
- Quarantine for 14 days from your last exposure or until you are allowed to return to NTHS under their guidelines.
If you are vaccinated and had close contact with someone you suspect has COVID-19:
- Do not come to any NTS events; notify NTS and CYC. Get tested for COVID-19 three to five days after exposure. You may attend NTS events if you do not have symptoms and you have a negative test result.
We developed these policies with reference to guidance from the Centers for Disease Control, the Illinois State Board of Education and Illinois Department of Public Health, and New Trier High School (various emails).